Ah! Here at Anderos, pocket squares are definitely one of our favorite accessories. Timeless and classy, a pocket square is a great way to give personality to any suit or sports jacket, with or without a tie. Unfortunately, the knowledge of how to properly fold a pocket square has not been passed on to most men. Not to worry, we will walk you through the process - as there are different ways you can choose to go about the folding.
The Flat Fold
Style: this fold gives an outfit that simple and casual look.
Occasions: perfect to sport on a first date or when you're out and about with friends.
- Start with the pocket square laying flat.
- Fold one side over to the other side lengthwise.
- Fold the bottom up to meet the top.
- Fold lengthwise again to match the width of your breast pocket.
The Puffy Fold
Style: this pocket square should be peeking out of your suit jacket - the use of a solid color is preferable, in order for it to make the outfit stand out.
Occasions: it is meant to be worn in a more classy setting.
- Lay your pocket square flat, and with your thumb and index, pinch the middle of the fabric. Lift gently the pocket square.
- Pinch the top of the fabric with your other hand.
- Bring the bottom of the pocket square to the top, while leaving free a piece of the fabric.
- Put your pocket square into your pocket and adjust to get the puffy fold that you desire.
The One Point Fold
Style: with its sharp and elegant look, this pocket square should be stretched to fit the width of your pocket.
Occasion: a very versatile fold, usually used for special events or occasions.
- Fold your pocket square in four, and make it rotate to have a "diamond" shape. Fold the left side over to the center of your pocket square.
- Do the same with the right side.
- Bring the bottom of your pocket square to the center.
- Put your pocket square in your suit's jacket. Afterward, you can adjust it to let more or less fabric visible.
The Crown Fold
Style: this fold basically comes out to the Puff Fold but upside down.
Occasion: the Crown Fold is a great fold for any type of setting or situation.
- With the pocket square laying flat, pinch the center.
- Pick it up from the center.
- Form a ring around the pocket square with the thumb and index finger of your other hand and slide it down almost to the bottom.
- Fold the rounded portion over.
Pocket square practice
Everyone’s heard of the expression: practice makes perfect! This could not be more accurate when it comes to pocket square folding. The more you practice, the more refined the result will be. Also, don’t be afraid to think outside the box, this isn’t an exact science. Fiddle with your square until you get the perfect shape! We welcome all of our readers to share their favorite foldings and illustrations with us!
*Illustration credits go to http://www.pochette-square.com